The Cathedrals Of Prague
The creation of the famous Cathedral of Prague began in the 14th century and ended by the 20th? On top of what the Cathedral has a viewing platform, accessible via a ladder in the 300 stone steps? The Church fulfilled the functions of the spiritual heart of the Old Town. and it was the main Hussite Church in Prague. In what temple discovered the tomb of the famous astronomer Tycho Brahe? In what year was built the personal synagogue warden ghetto Mordaha Meisel?
In Prague a huge number of churches, cathedrals, churches and chapels. The cathedrals of Prague create a truly unique flavor. Loretto – Cathedral in Prague in the Baroque style. St. Vitus Cathedral is one of the most famous cathedrals of Prague. its creation began in the 14th century and finished only 20th. The towers of the Cathedral can be seen in any place of Prague’s old town. The Cathedral is located on the territory of Prague castle. here are the tombs of many kings of Bohemia. “Facades of St. Vitus Cathedral is decorated with rich stone carvings. Above the portal of the South facade is a mosaic. “The last judgment” (1371-1372) is the oldest surviving Czech mosaic.
A spiral staircase from the Great South tower of Cathedral SV. Vita is a technological wonder of its time. Its axis three times twisted in different directions, and the upper coating consists of a delicate network. Gold plated window grating, given by Rudolf II, hides 16-ton bell “Zikmund” 1549.
That the temple began to build a French architect, reminiscent of the stone figures of gargoyles that adorn the gutters. This motif was thought to sources. was very characteristic of medieval France. Highly that moved the spire of the bell tower of St. Vitus Cathedral for many years was the tallest building of Prague. On the top of the stairs are quite steep steps, overcoming that, you get a panoramic view of the Czech capital. St. Vitus Cathedral — a magnificent structure, a recognizable symbol of Prague. Located in the heart of the district, the temple impresses with its size and grandeur of the architecture. This Gothic Catholic Cathedral is the seat of the Archbishop of Prague, it houses the tomb of the kings of Bohemia and the repository of the crown jewels.
It is considered that the first stone in the Foundation of the temple was laid by Saint Wenceslas in 925. The Church was consecrated in honor of St. Vitus, whose right hand Vaclav received a gift from the German king Henry I. In the XI century Romanesque Church was rebuilt into a three-nave Basilica, and on 21 November 1344, began the construction of the Cathedral, which was built under the patronage of Archbishop Ernest of Pardubice and king Charles IV. On the construction of the Cathedral at different times worked by the architects Matthias of Arras, Peter Parler, the founder of the Charles bridge. sons Parler — Wenzel and Johans, Master Petric. Soon the Cathedral was badly damaged in the begun in 1419 the Hussite wars, and lost many pictures, icons and sculptures.
Between the Great southern tower and the chapel of St. Vaclav is the entrance to the Cathedral – the Golden gate. They are decorated with a mosaic depicting Charles IV with his wife, Elizabeth of Pomerania. The mosaic was created in Venice in 1371 and is still considered one of the largest and oldest outdoor mosaic North of the Alps.
Opposite the old town hall rises above the Old Town Church of our lady Tyn (Kostel Panny Marie pr(ed Ty nem) or just týn Church. The construction of the temple began in the fourteenth century, but completed only in 1511. Since the beginning of the XV century Tyn Church fulfilled the functions of the spiritual heart of the Old Town. and it was the main Hussite Church in Prague. Architecture the Church is three-aisled Basilica with towers on the Western facade and three choirs, trailing the aisles to the East. From the North on the tympanum depicts scenes from the life of Christ. The Cathedral has Romanesque and early Gothic foundations, its Gothic architecture is stylistically perfectly harmonizes with the finish in the spirit of the Baroque. For example, a magnificent Baroque altar (one of 19 that are available in the temple) was made in 1649 by the painter Karel Screeu. And two towers in Baroque style with a height of about 80 meters appeared in the XVII century on the site of Gothic towers, destroyed by fire.
The Church of St. Martin-in-the-wall was built in the late XII century. The unusual name was born when the wall was close to the South wall of the Church. It was around the cemetery; some tombstones genuine complement the decoration of the Church, reminding the congregation about the impermanence of life.
The Maisel synagogue (Prague 1 – Old Place. Maisel street) was built in 1592 as a personal synagogue warden ghetto Mordaha Meisel, courtier and financier of the Emperor Rudolph II. The building was struck by the size and magnificence. The project was developed by Jude Goldsmid de Hertz. M. Meisel and his wife gave the synagogue a lot of different things, for example, synagogue curtains, Torah covers and other items. Currently the synagogue is used as exhibition space and a Depository of the Jewish Museum. In stock are mostly silver objects. The exhibition presents a brief overview of the history of the Jewish population in Bohemia and Moravia. from 10 to 18 century.
The Capuchin monastery to the left of the Loreta Church is the oldest functioning monastery in the Czech Republic, he is here since 1602. Inside laymen ordered input. In the XVII century the monastery was almost closed by the court astronomer of Rudolf II, Tycho Brahe: the monks interfered with the work of the scientist singing and bell ringing.
Basilica of St. George at Prague castle (Prague 1 – hradčany. square of St. jiří) is the second largest Church in Prague castle. Two white thin, uneven but wide towers from the flask, glow in the panorama of Prague castle. The first stone building, then to the rotunda and put about 920, Prince Vratislav I (the father of St Wenceslas). In 973 the Church sister Mlada Boleslav II founded a monastery. Mlada was ordained Prelate in Rome, where they brought in the Czech Republic the first nuns of the order of St. Benedict. Thanks to the efforts of Mlada, a Romanesque rotunda was rebuilt and turned into a three-nave Basilica.In the early 13th century to the South side of the tower was added in the late-Roman style chapel of St. Ludmila. The southern portal of the Basilica (with Yeresko street ) is decorated with relief depicting St. George fighting with the dragon (author Benedict Reid).